Peter’s Rice Noodle in Curry Miso Coconut Soup (Vegan)
IG Handle: @plantbased_matters
Ingredients: (makes 2-3 servings)
- 1 Bag of Perfect Earth Organic Rice Pasta (Pad Thai)
For Curry Miso Coconut Soup:
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 can (13.5 FL oz) coconut milk
- 1 cup shiitake dashi (see below)*
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 tablespoons ginger, minced
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons miso paste
- 4 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 tablespoon (1 lime) lime juice
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 4 caps re-hydrated shiitake, sliced
- 1 head broccoli, cut into florets
- ½ block extra firm tofu, pat dry then cut into ½ inch cubes
- ½ tablespoon canola oil, for pan-fried tofu
- 1 teaspoon garlic pepper salt seasoning, for pan-fried tofu (adjust salt to your tasting)
- ½ cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 tablespoon (1 lime) lime zest
- 1 stalk scallion, thinly sliced
- 2-3 lime wedges
*Shiitake Dashi --- “dashi” means stock in Japanese
- 1 ¼ cups water, for soaking dried shiitake
- 4 caps dried shiitake
How to make Shiitake Dashi:
- Clean (remove dirt or any particles) trapped between the gills of shiitake.
- Soak the cleaned shiitake in water for a minimum of 3 hours up to overnight.
- After soaking, trim the stem and gently squeeze the caps over the soaking water to reserve the water that was squeezed out.
- Place a paper towel over a fine strainer. Pour the soaking water to remove any excess dirt. You should end up with about 1 cup of dashi (soaking water.)
- In a large pot, cook the rice pasta for 8 minutes. Transfer to a colander then rinse it under running water. Drain water very well and set it aside.
- In a frying pan, pan-fry tofu cubes with canola oil over a medium high heat. Season with garlic pepper salt and continue to cook until golden brown. Take the frying pan off the heat and set it aside.
- In a different pot, cook minced garlic and ginger with canola oil over a medium heat to avoid burning. Cook until fragrant.
- Add curry powder then cook for a minute to release the aroma of the curry powder.
- Pour in vegetable stock, coconut milk, shiitake dashi, lime juice, salt and black pepper. Turn up the heat to bring it to boil then turn it down to medium-low heat.
- Dissolve miso paste into the soup then add broccoli florets, and sliced shiitake. Let it simmer for 5-7 minutes until broccoli is tender and also flavor comes together.
- Transfer the noodle in a serving bowl then pour the soup over.
- Place the pan-fried tofu on top of the noodle.
- Garnish with cilantro, lime zest, scallions, and squeeze more fresh lime juice.
- Richard Blossom